Alcohol consumption affects training and performance in several ways, such as:
- Reducing muscle force production
- Decreasing muscle strength and power capabilities
- Altering the transport, activation, utilisation and storage of most nutrients
- Causing dehydration which may persist long after alcohol consumption - dehydration impairs performance
- Altering protein and carbohydrate metabolism, increasing metabolic rate and oxygen consumption
- Impairing recovery from injury and micro-tissue damage associated with training
- Impairing the functioning of the central nervous system, co-ordination and precision.