Phase 2 - Rehabilitation
Rehabilitation generally requires supervision and management by appropriately trained medical staff, doctors, physiotherapists and fitness advisors. The aim of rehabilitation is to restore the player to full fitness, which includes:
- recovery of muscle strength
- restoration of a full range of movement in the joint
- recovery of co-ordination and balance
- fitness maintained by exercises such as hand-cycling and swimming
- when ready - the gradual introduction of Wheelchair Rugby-specific skills
- basic contact drills followed by full contact.
If all these are achieved - return to play.